This box culvert was installed when County Highway 2 was rebuilt in
1939. The old alignment, which contained Larson's Bridge, was abandoned.
Since this culvert replaced Larson's Bridge, it was only natural to call
it Larson's Culvert. The old bridge was named after Robert Larson, the
nearest property owner to the structure.
One can hardly tell that there is a bridge here or that they are crossing
the Mississippi River. The only clue is a small green guide sign. This is
a rather minimal treatment for such a mighty river. It was short-sighted to
build such a small culvert because it interferes with canoe traffic.
In addition to this culvert and the remains of Larson's Bridge,
there are two other bridges over the Mississippi River within 1200 feet of
either side of the road, both of which are privately owned bridges.
The photo above is a view from the highway looking north across the
structure. The photo below is a close view of the west portal of the
culvert. The photo at the top of the page is a profile view of the
County Highway 2 river crossing.
The photo above is the upriver entrance to the culvert. The photo
below is a view of the river channel on the downriver side of the highway.
The river channel is far better defined here than in the marshy areas
near Lake Itasca.