The first bridge built at this location was an 1868 swingspan. That
bridge was rebuilt in 1899 as a fixed steel plate girder bridge. In 1960,
the railroad crossing at Quincy was rebuilt on a new alignment. This
bridge, and the railroad owned land on Quinsippi Island, were turned over
to Adams County to be used as a park. At that time, a narrow gauge
tourist railroad was set up, which ran until 1984. At some point after
1984, the rails were removed and the bridge was modified to be used
exclusively for vehicle traffic.
One interesting feature of this bridge is the mixture of stone and wooden
bridge piers. The original swing bridge used the stone piers. When the
swing span was removed, two wooden piers were installed to support the
plate girders as they crossed the long spans where the swing span was
formerly located. A second interesting feature of this bridge are the
stone abutments at each end. Each has a round barrel-shaped culvert
through the stonework.