The bridge was strengthened in 1901. The wood floor was removed in 1953 and replaced with steel and asphalt. The steel mill on Sylvan Island closed in 1956, which lead to a decline in traffic over the bridge. The bridge was closed in the early 1960s due to safety issues. The federal government transferred ownership of the bridge to the City of Moline in 1975. In 1995, the city repaired the bridge, and opened it up for pedestrian and bicycle use.
Today, nature has reclaimed Sylvan Island. It has become an ever more popular place to take a nature walk or go for a run as the quad cities continues to reclaim its riverfront area.