One of two private bridges near Clearwater County Highway 2. This one
is on a driveway leading to the Francis and Janice Feil farm. This bridge
was built in 1981, replacing a 1920 span, which replaced an 1890's span.
The bridge has a very simple construction. Timber piles were pounded into
the ground on each side of the river. Planks were placed between the piles
to keep the approach fill from falling into the river. Beams were then
set on the piles crossing the river. Planks were laid crossways on the
beams. Smaller timbers were laid on the edge of the bridge and spiked
into the planks to keep the planks from moving.
The photo above is a view of the bridge looking to the west towards the
These two photos are looking east across the bridge from the west bank of
the Mississippi River. The river is in an oxbow at this location. The
current is flowing south, which is to the right side of the photo.
These two photos are looking west across the bridge. The photo above
is a view from the southeast corner of the structure, while the photo
below is from the the northeast corner of the structure.