The Mississippi River crossing at Lansing, Wisconsin, consists of
the main channel Blackhawk Bridge, and four smaller bridges. This
page focuses on the second bridge from Iowa, the fourth on the Wisconsin
side of the crossing. Like the other smaller bridges in this
crossing, the original 1931 wooden structure was destroyed on March
18, 1945 by heavy ice. The crossing sat idle until it was purchased
by the states of Iowa and Wisconsin in 1953, the bridges rebuilt,
and opened to the public again in 1957.
The Big Slough bridge is built over an especially deep channel
of the Mississippi River. The concrete piers extend over 30 feet
below the waterline. It is reported that larger drilling equipment
had to be brought in to sink the pilings for this bridge as compared
to the other bridges on this river crossing.