The first bridge built at this location was a wooden bridge built by the son of US Army Colonel George Davenport in 1863. They had received word that the government was planning to build a POW camp on the island, so they jumped at the chance to profit from that knowledge. The government did indeed buy the bridge in 1868, which almost immediately failed when crushed by ice. The Davenports replaced the bridge with another wooden structure in 1872. The wooden bridge was replaced with a modern bridge in 1907. That bridge was rebuilt in 1967, with steel replacing the iron, and a concrete deck being installed.
Note that every other pier is angled out into the river current, built to break up any ice that builds up against the bridge piers.