The photo above is the older of the two mid-river water intake houses. This intake went into operation in 1894, so it must have been built in the early 1890s. It features a base made of cut stone, with a white stone structure on top. The most distinctive feature is the green conical roof. The intake is the source end of a 7-foot diameter pipe that carries water to the treatment plan. This structure is located 150 feet upriver of Dam #27 and 750 feet south of the old Chain of Rocks Bridge. The intake is 1,400 feet from the west shore of the Mississippi River.
The photo below is the newer of the two mid-river water intake houses. This intake was built in 1911 as part of a plant expansion to accommodate a future water clarification system. The building is made of cut stone. The most distinctive features are the oval shape of the building and the intricate stonework. This structure is located 250 feet downriver from the old Chain of Rocks Bridge, and 2,000 feet from the west shore of the river.
There are two locations where these structures can be seen. The first is from the deck of the old Chain of Rocks Bridge, which is now open to pedestrian and bicycle traffic. The second location is the landing on the east side of the river at the east end of Dam #27. This location can be accessed by driving towards the east end of the old Chain of Rocks bridge, then taking a right turn just before the parking area for the old bridge. These two photos were taken from this latter location.